10 questions for freelance illustrator and graphic designer Careshia Steenkamp on career, life and freelancing.
1. FCT: When did you start working as a freelancer?
I’ve only been freelancing full time since the 1st of Feb 2017. But I’ve been taking on freelance jobs since I started working 3 years ago.
2. FCT: Sum up your skills in 7 words.
Passionate, spontaneous, storytelling illustrator and designer.
3. FCT: What do you enjoy most about freelancing?
The variety of work that I have everyday means that I’m never bored.
I also enjoy the freedom that I have to move around and manage my own time. It’s great.
4. FCT: Do you think freelancing is unconventional?
Yes it is, but the world is moving toward it more and more, especially in certain industries.
5. FCT: Describe the verb to freelance in the dictionary according to you.
free·lance | ˈfrēˌlans/ verb: To work on your own terms, self-employed and not commited on a long-term basis.
6. FCT: Tell us about your work ethic.
Hard working, self driven and very curious to try new ways of creating art.
7. FCT: What do you believe makes you stand out from the crowd?
My style can be quirky and fun.
8. FCT: Describe the space where you work at?
I work everywhere; from my flat in Tamboerskloof that overlooks Table Mountain, to a nice coffee shop. I especially enjoy one of my new client’s home in Vredehoek- with amazing fibre internet!
9. FCT: How have you benefited from Freelance Cape Town?
I landed a job at Quirk and stayed there for a year and a half, as well as freelance jobs here and there.
10. FCT: What are your words of wisdom/encouragement for those who are thinking of embarking on the freelance journey?
- It’s scary at first, but super exciting.
- You need to have a portfolio website with only your best work on it and you need to impress on the get-go.
- Always be willing to work on jobs that you usually wouldn’t, because you never know where it might lead to.
- Save money!!!
- Work hard.
- Try and do exciting personal projects to better yourself and to explore- this is the time to do it, because you can and you have the freedom to pursue it!
You can view Careshia’s profile by clicking here.
Love it Careshia. Kyk altyd uit vir jou stunning werk.