10 questions for freelance illustrator and graphic designer Careshia Steenkamp on career, life and freelancing.
1. FCT: When did you start working as a freelancer?
I’ve only been freelancing full time since the 1st of Feb 2017. But I’ve been taking on freelance jobs since I started working 3 years ago.
2. FCT: Sum up your skills in 7 words.
Passionate, spontaneous, storytelling illustrator and designer.
3. FCT: What do you enjoy most about freelancing?
The variety of work that I have everyday means that I’m never bored.
I also enjoy the freedom that I have to move around and manage my own time. It’s great.
4. FCT: Do you think freelancing is unconventional?
Yes it is, but the world is moving toward it more and more, especially in certain industries.
5. FCT: Describe the verb to freelance in the dictionary according to you.
free·lance | ˈfrēˌlans/ verb: To work on your own terms, self-employed and not commited on a long-term basis.
6. FCT: Tell us about your work ethic.
Hard working, self driven and very curious to try new ways of creating art.
7. FCT: What do you believe makes you stand out from the crowd?
My style can be quirky and fun.
8. FCT: Describe the space where you work at?
I work everywhere; from my flat in Tamboerskloof that overlooks Table Mountain, to a nice coffee shop. I especially enjoy one of my new client’s home in Vredehoek- with amazing fibre internet!
9. FCT: How have you benefited from Freelance Cape Town?
I landed a job at Quirk and stayed there for a year and a half, as well as freelance jobs here and there.
10. FCT: What are your words of wisdom/encouragement for those who are thinking of embarking on the freelance journey?
- It’s scary at first, but super exciting.
- You need to have a portfolio website with only your best work on it and you need to impress on the get-go.
- Always be willing to work on jobs that you usually wouldn’t, because you never know where it might lead to.
- Save money!!!
- Work hard.
- Try and do exciting personal projects to better yourself and to explore- this is the time to do it, because you can and you have the freedom to pursue it!
You can view Careshia’s profile by clicking here.